Steinbach is recovering from a fire that ravaged a strip mall: President of the Chamber of Commerce – Winnipeg

The Steinbach Chambers of Commerce president said while a devastating fire over the weekend is a “huge loss” to the city’s business community, she is heartened by the resilience and support she has witnessed.

Christine Beaumont told Global News that four businesses – a paint and decorating store, a tax department, a flooring store and a pet food store – are total losses after the fire in sunday.

The blaze, which belched toxic smoke visible from Winnipeg, nearly 60 kilometers away, also affected many other nearby businesses, including the chambers’ own office, which was closed on Monday due to power outages and a lingering smell of smoke.

Read more:

Smoke from Steinbach Strip Center fire could be spotted from Winnipeg

The story continues under the ad

“It’s just a huge loss and it leaves a big hole on Main Street,” Beaumont said.

“The thing we think about, and our hearts go out to, is the people behind these windows – the business owners, the staff, the families who are affected.

“In a small community, they are our neighbours, our friends, our colleagues…and they have to pick themselves up after such a big loss.

Beaumont said so far there has been an outpouring of support from the rest of the community, with some businesses not injured in the fire offering space and resources for their devastated neighbors can continue to work.

“It shows, again, the resilience, after all that every business has been through in the last few years,” she said.

“My heart swells with pride just to be part of this business community and to see the solidarity.”


Click to play the video:







Major fire in Steinbach consumes mall and produces toxic smoke


Major fire in Steinbach consumes mall and produces toxic smoke

© 2022 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Comments are closed.